We are in the business of student success...2018 STAAR Reviews and Benchmark coming soon.
Powerful learning...Performance to prove it.
About the Sharon Wells Mathematics Program
The Sharon Wells Mathematics Program focuses on the use of hands-on materials in a problem-solving format to teach content knowledge, algebraic reasoning, strategies, data analysis, basic facts and systematic concept lessons.
The teachers are provided a sequential guide for each six weeks which includes a scope and sequence that covers spiraled tested curriculum, detailed teacher instructions with a materials list, all necessary lessons, student skills that focus on readiness standards and comprehensive student assessments.
The Sharon Wells Mathematics Program is designed on the principle of maintaining unique recurring methods and pedagogical beliefs for implementing effective mathematics instruction for young learners such as:
- Providing rigorous and in-depth lessons, frequent assessments, and spiraled repetition of readiness concepts
- Real life, hands–on lessons using manipulatives
- Building a strong foundation for understanding with conceptual learning opportunities from concrete to abstract activities
- Active learning experiences to conceptualize skills being taught
At Sharon Wells we strive to create lessons that engage students so they can build the conceptual foundation and develop the mathematical processes needed for strengthening cognitive math skills, algebraic reasoning and problem solving
This will not only lead to success in the current grade level, but prepare students to transfer the learning to higher level mathematics
State standards may change but one thing remains constant, the proven success rate in state test results for the districts using the Sharon Wells Mathematics Curriculum. Some districts have seen more than a 40% increase in test results after the first year of implementation
Professional Development Sessions are available for 2nd -5th grade teachers and are designed to:
- Help teachers implement meaningful instructional strategies that lead to increased student success and life- long learning
- Review strategic instructional strategies to promote mastery learning
- Focus on communicating mathematical ideas that are relevant to state standards to build mathematical fluency, autonomy and build student confidence
- Work together with educators to ensure students are receiving quality instruction
Teachers receive CPE hours for all workshops attended
- Designed specifically for Texas educators with step-by-step guidelines for successful implementation of State standards in the classroom
- For grades 2nd - 5th, that is aligned to the TEKS and addresses the new rigor of STAAR
- Concept based to promote a solid understanding of mathematical concepts
- Geared towards the development of student problem solving and logical reasoning
- Provides opportunities for students to actively engage in learning
- Prepares students for an ever-evolving future that leads the way for the challenges of the new century
- Proven incredibly successful, with most campus showing gains of over 40% after first year of implementation
Raising the bar to meet changing State standards
We used it at our school and at first we did not see the need to get 'trained' to use elementary math, hadn't we seen it all? However... after using it we discovered there was another way to skin a cat and the new method and approaches were valuable. I personally had the highest Math scores I have EVER had after using this program. 15 students out of 18 recieved Academic Recognition!! I am a believer! They loved the way the daily routine is broken down and I loved the way she teaches Problem Solving. SOOOOOO GREAT!
This is the greatest math program I've ever seen. It is very teacher friendly and covers all areas the children need to become confident at math. I've taught for 34 years and Sharon Wells is the best!!
Our program has helped thousands of students across Texas reach the highest levels of success for almost 20 years.
The Four Components to Mathematics Success
Problem Solving / Process Standards - Mixed TEKS Review
One extremely unique part of our program is the Problem Solving / Process TEKS Component - it is the most integral part of the Sharon Wells Mathematics Program. The problem solving section is both open-ended and written in STAAR format. It is included for grades 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th each six weeks. Process Standards are woven together within multiple representations and multifaceted story problems that lead students to build logical reasoning that allows them to make mathematical connections to real life situations.
All process standard TEKS are practiced with embedded dual coded skills to ensure students are prepared to work at the highest levels of mathematical reasoning.
Basic Facts (2nd - 4th Grade)
Basic mathematical skills are repeated and reviewed Monday –Thursday for 15 minutes daily. This allows students to build the foundational basic facts they need to perform more complex mathematical operations, while ensuring automaticity and procedural fluency. Numeracy is constructed in this component throughout the year.
Skills (Review 5th Grade)
Skills vary and are spiraled accordingly for each grade level as outlined by Readiness TEKS with an emphasis on skills that must be learned and mastered.
In this component the emphasis is on basic understandings in number, operation, and quantitative reasoning; patterns, relationships and algebraic thinking; geometry and special reasoning; measurement; and probability and statistics.
This is also a time where other TEKS , as determined by the teacher using the student performance data from the previous six weeks assessments(or weekly assessments) can be reviewed and differentiated.
Daily engagement and in-depth lessons are carefully outlined for every stage. Weekly assessments are provided to facilitate data driven decision making and differentiated instruction. It makes re-teaching and individualized instruction much easier for the classroom teacher. The Sharon Wells Mathematics Program has one goal and that is to develop mathematically secure students who are able to apply mathematical principles in problem-solving situations and make connections to mathematical ideas utilizing more complex principles.
Our hands-on approach to learning facilitates the building of a solid foundation of the integral mathematical concepts outlined by TEA for all learners. The program is written and constantly updated as determined by the Texas Education Agency, to ensure the materials provided are not only 100% aligned, but provide the most intentional and updated materials available.Concept development lessons are written according to the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills for each specific grade level.